Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-030

From: Paul L Schmehl (paulsat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 11:10:41 PDT

    At UTD we are running active-active clustering (a-a-c) with two virtual
    Exchange 2000 servers and a RAID array.  We were in the process of
    installing Exchange 2000 on the second node, and the admins decided to
    apply this patch to the "active" node as well.

    After application of the patch (this morning), stores.exe consumed 100% of
    CPU and Exchange became non-responsive.  Some tasks timed out, while others
    could be performed but were quite sluggish.

    We do not know if this will affect systems that do not use a-a-c.
    Stores.exe is a file used by a-a-c, and the patch detected that we were
    running a-a-c.  There's nothing in the bulletin to indicate that the patch
    is not supposed to be applied to an a-a-c setup.

    --On Wednesday, June 06, 2001 5:30 PM -0700 Microsoft Product Security
    <secnotifat_private> wrote:

    > The following is a Security  Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
    > Notification Service.
    >
    > Please do not  reply to this message,  as it was sent  from an unattended
    > mailbox.
    >                     ********************************

    > - ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Title:      Incorrect Attachment Handling in Exchange 2000 OWA
    >             Can Execute Script
    > Date:       06 June 2001
    > Software:   Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Outlook Web Access
    > Impact:     Run code of attacker's choice
    > Bulletin:   MS01-030
    >
    > Microsoft encourages customers to review the Security Bulletin at:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-030.asp.

    Paul L. Schmehl, paulsat_private
    http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
    Supervisor, Support Services