Anonymized ? Not yet. - Part II

From: Alexander K. Yezhov (adminat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 10:04:04 PDT

    Dear bugtraq readers,

    The  JavaScript  code  posted  before raised a lot of questions. Below
    you'll find some answers.

    Q:  Does the page have to get a visitor to click a link for the script
    to run ?

    A:  Script  can  be  started like all the scripts (just insert it into
    html  and  that's  all).  It  doesn't  require  any  interaction  with
    visitors.  On  my Tools-On.Net site the click just leads you to one of
    the tools that displays the information about the visitor (to make the
    demonstration more complete).

    Q: How it works ? Is alert() safe ?

    A:  Alert() is safe. But the code can include any other instruction as
    well.  The  JavaScript  on  the  demo  page  just checks if the URL is
    "chained"  and  then  changes  document.location  to the same page but
    without anonymizing. NOTE: the verification is needed only because the
    location  will  be  changed  to  the  _same_ page. This step (checking
    current  document.location)  can be skipped if the site redirects user
    to a different page.

    Q: Does SafeWEB.com have the same issues?

    A:  I had a look at SafeWeb today. Since it uses different approach to
    isolate  dangerous  JavaScript  instructions the demo code won't work.
    SafeWeb  doesn't  let  the  script to verify if the URL is chained and
    correctly intercepts any attempts to change document.location or issue
    location.replace  function.  But  the  answer is ... "yes". To let the
    demo   script   verify   the  original  URL  we'll  have  to  override
    fugunet_fixloc  function.  Then, to redirect current frame to unsecure
    location we can use "assign" method.

    The current "redirect" demo is available at:

    http://tools-on.net/privacy.shtml

    (click on the "Go" button below "Holmes/Who" and look at the report)

    You can also use direct (temp.) link to the "Who" tool:

    http://tools-on.net/privacy.shtml?o=who&t=4557701001675&

    The demo works for Anonymizer as well as for SafeWeb.

    Best regards, Alexander

                                MCP+I, MCSE
           http://Tools-On.Net - Free tools for connected people.
                 http://Leader.Ru - Leader's Smart Guide.