Re: personal web server directory traversal vulnerability patch

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 14:01:38 PDT

    David Raitzer wrote:

    > I assembled an effective patch for the UNICODE directory traversal
    > vulnerability issue in Microsoft Personal Web Server 4.0 for Windows 95/98,
    > which was noted previously on this list.  It can be downloaded at:
    > http://www.geocities.com/p_w_server/pws_patch/index.htm

    David,

    I was spending my morning trying to decide how to address this issue
    and saw your email. Talk about timing. :)

    Being responsible (paranoid?), I wanted to verify the patch files
    against the Microsoft equivalents. I had assumed that you mixed and
    matched existing Microsoft dlls and exes from the various patches and
    created your own installer.

    I unpackaged the -010 and -078 patches and tried to do file compares.
    Many of the .DLL files in your package didn't match files in either
    Microsoft package.

    I also couldn't find some of the version numbers included in your package
    on the Microsoft DLL Help database.

    Anyway, I was curious where these files came from. Did you use a binary
    editor to patch them or recreate them from scratch somehow? Or am I just
    looking in the wrong places?

    thanks,
    --
    Gary Flynn