RE: OpenBSD 2.9,2.8 local root compromise

From: Brian McKinney (rizzdoggat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 14:03:17 PDT

    Was this tested on OpenBSD 2.8 release or stable?

    	I have tested your exploit on my OpenBSD 2.8 stable box and was
    unable to get a root shell.  I tried it a few times with core dumps and then
    it did work a couple times but there was no link in /tmp.  I went ahead and
    rebooted my box, never executed /usr/bin/su and your code executed fine with
    no core dumps but still had the same results with no link in /tmp.  Im no C
    coder but im sure this has something to do with the amount of fork()'s in
    $num or the value of $joro.
    my box is a P233 MMX with 64 megs of memory.

    Brian

    Georgi Guninski security advisory #47, 2001

    OpenBSD 2.9,2.8 local root compromise

    Systems affected:
    OpenBSD 2.9,2.8