Re: OpenBSD 2.9,2.8 local root compromise

From: Andreas Haugsnes (andreasat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 10:58:42 PDT

    If my opinions were missunderstod, I'll apologize for that.

    I am currently a 'eager and happy user' of OpenBSD.
    Used it for a couple of years, and I must say that
    it has been among the better operatingsystems.
    At the side I use FreeBSD, for servers aswell as desktops.
    The reason that I reacted was that normally, fixes for
    'more trivial' errors are corrected -by day-.
    The coders of OpenBSD are among the better, and up to now
    have delivered patches/fixes -fast-, aswell as informing users (see you/me) about it.

    (If you in any sence of way feel that this discussion is taking a 'useless turn',
    just say so. In the deep end, we're both users and enjoying every minute of it. :) )

    Now, going back to your answer here.

    The reason I reacted the way I did was not because I think "microsoft is
    better". I have a very neutral opinion for OS', and some users may
    prefer the ones easier to use.
    The only reason is that a fix wasn't posted on errata. No information
    reguarding such a -important- event.
    How about all the users that use OpenBSD on important servers?
    No information on the subject was posted before the exploit, and
    that's what scares me.

    > Do you do this every time an exploit comes out for any Linux vendor, or
    > Microsoft? You must have a sweaty forehead.

    <ironi quotation mark, end>
    And I have -never- claimed that this is bad contra other systems.
    But this is not a "match OS issue", please stick to the real issue.

    > I'd like to know what method of notification Georgi used. Did he file a
    > confidential bug report, or did he just send an email to Theo? He could
    > have also sent an email to one of the mail lists, stating that he had
    > discovered a problem and could someone "in the know" contact him.

    Ofcourse, this could be the situation. If it's "that explainable", I
    recall all my remarks.

    > What's up with people acting like the sky is falling when any type of
    > exploit is released for OpenBSD? I'd be interested to see a graph of
    > released exploits for Operating Systems. Where do you think OpenBSD
    > would be on that chart in relation to others?

    The difference between "gettings bugs" and "telling people about it".
    It's -not- good policy to let the public know about the bugs / exploits
    before it has been posted / fixed by the vendor.

    > The reality is that the OpenBSD development team is small, and busy. And
    > yes this is a problem, and yes they were notified, and yes no officially
    > responded to this BUGTRAQ post and they did not have a patch ready to
    > go. Most of these developers are people just like you and me who have
    > jobs and work on OpenBSD because they enjoy it, and like the ideals
    > behind OpenBSD. No one is getting rich on doing this, believe me.

    I don't doubt that in a second, -but-.
    This is a -critical- bug. It gives -root comprimise-.
    Think of the damage it causes if no one gets to know about the fixes in
    time? We're talking -heavy- financial losses.

    > If what you desire is someone to be there for you night and day, to
    > have patch right away, you should probably be running another OS. I'm
    > not just saying that to be rude or refute the problem with a "go away"
    > attitude. I'm serious.

    Night/day, no. But what I expect, aswell as in any other -good coding environment-,
    is information about -critical- issues as this.
    If no one gives the information in time, what's the point of even reading
    the news/maillist/webpages?

    > In conclusion, OpenBSD never claimed that they were never going to be
    > vulnerable to security issues, and they promised that they would be able
    > to fix everything in a timely manner. But when I look at the
    > alternatives, for some reason I still prefer it. Go figure...

    Partially agree, but also a "big issue here", if no one is there to
    "complain" or "say that things weren't handled good", then who
    will take their time to fix it ?
    "Why fix something that isn't broke".
    People -need- to get things like this pointed out, people NEED to
    see that security is a growing issue, and at the least, people
    NEED to: INFORM THE USERS. (excuse the caps.)

    > btw.. if you made it through my rant here is your reward:
    > http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/kern/kern_exec.c

    Revision 1.49 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Fri Jun 15 11:10:18 2001 UTC (6 hours, 38 minutes ago) by art
    Yes, and do you it's coincidence that it's only 6 hours old?
    No, here proving my point earlier mentioned.
    Now that the people have been informed (not in the best way, but still), a fix
    has been made. But. 6 days has passed, and no one exterior from the OpenBSD team
    has been informed. That's -not good-. (Which is the -only- point i'm trying to make
    here. :-) )

    In the end, I would like to thank the developers of OpenBSD.
    The operatingsystem is really good, and I hope to see more
    of it. Just to point out that I still prefer OpenBSD as a
    "more secure alternative".

    Your annoyance,
     Andreas Haugsnes