Re: Windows 2k SP2 breaks security fix should reapply

From: Eric (ewsat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 12:01:20 PDT

    Hmmm..  I took a Win2K Gold (no SP) machine, installed all hotfixes for the
    OS and IIS5 (including the 01-026 patch).  I then installed SP2 and tested
    for the double decode bug - the machine was not vulnerable.

    I then compared all the files that came with MS01-026 (IIS5) to the files
    that were on the system (after the SP2 install and a reboot).  I compared
    fileversion and checksum of each file from the hotfix to the files on the
    system and found that all the MS01-026 files are still on the box - both
    before and after SP2 install.

    SP2 will delete the registry key that is installed by MS01-026
    (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows 2000\SP2\Q293826) - maybe causing
    hfcheck.exe to report that the hotfix has not been applied, however, all
    the relevant files are on the system.

    As far as I can tell, SP2 does not break the patch - and there is no need
    to re-install the patch if you installed it prior to SP2.

    --eric