Re: Cisco TFTPD 1.1 Vulerablity

From: Jim Duncan (jnduncanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 16:21:03 PDT

    Siberian writes:
    > [Sentry Research Labs - ID0201061701]
    > (c) 2001 by www.sentry-labs.com
    > [...]
    > Topic:
    > Security Bug in CISCO TFTPD server 1.1
    >
    > Vendor Status:
    > Informed (06/17/01)

    Just for the record, I checked with my teammates and can't find any
    record that you contacted the Cisco Product Security Incident Response
    Team (PSIRT).  We're the group that handles vulnerabilities in all
    Cisco products and we're easily reachable.  It would've been more
    helpful if you had contacted us privately beforehand and given us an
    opportunity to make fixed code available before you posted the
    vulnerability.

    If you did contact someone at Cisco, could you let us know who that was
    so we can follow up with that person?  We'd like to make sure the
    process works as best as it can.  If I am in error, please correct me.

    I have not yet validated the vulnerability, but will look into it as
    soon as possible.

    Regardless of the path the report took to get to us, we appreciate the
    time and effort that goes into such reporting.  Ultimately, everybody
    benefits from full disclosure of product security vulnerabilities.

    Thanks.

    	Jim

    ==
    Jim Duncan, Product Security Incident Manager, Cisco Systems, Inc.
    <http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/sec_incident_response.shtml>
    E-mail: <jnduncanat_private>  Phone(Direct/FAX): +1 919 392 6209