SurgeFTP vulnerabilities

From: SDL Office (bugtraq@sentry-labs.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 01:08:11 PDT

    [Sentry Research Labs - ID0301061701]

    This advisory is provided by www.sentry-labs.com

    Note:
    This advisory is for information and educational purpouse only! We
    are not responsible for any abuse or damage resulting from these
    information.

    Author:
    Siberian

    Topic:
    Serveral Security Flaws in Surge FTP Server

    Affected:
    Surdge FTP Server 2.0a
    Tested with Windows 98 SE and Surge FTP Server 2.0a Trial

    Vendor Status:
    Informed, bugfix available

    Vendor URL:
    http://netwinsite.com/surgeftp/

    Preamble:
    Surge FTP Server is a US$385 FTP Server Software from Netwin, which come
    with serveral features
    like webinterface and other intresting features

    Issue:
    1.) A simple directory transversal bug allows listing of normaly
    unaccessable files
    2.) FTP allows anybody to DOS the machine with a well known con/con attack.

    Exploit:
    1.) Connect to the server with anonymous and type "nlist ..."
    2.) Connect to the server with anonymous and type cd con/con (yes, this is
    well know and works with MANY other too, but we think it should be
    filtered).

    Workaround:
    update to ver 2.0b available form www.netwinsite.com/surgeftp