[VIGILANTE-2001001] ASP source code retrieved with Unicode extens ion

From: Hack Kampbjørn (hack.kampbjornat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 05:19:06 PDT

    http://www.vigilante.com/inetsecurity/advisories/VIGILANTE-20010001.htm

    Title:
            ASP source code retrieved with Unicode extension
    Advisory Code:
            VIGILANTE-2001001
    Author:
            Hack Kampbjørn
    Release Date:
            2001-06-22.

    System affected:
            Windows NT4 + IIS4 + sp3 (on FAT)
            Windows 2000 Server (on FAT)
            Windows 2000 Server + sp2 (on FAT)
    Systems not affected:
            Windows NT4 + IIS4 + sp3 (on NTFS)
            Windows 2000 Server (on NTFS)
            Windows 2000 Server + sp2 (on NTFS)

    The problem:
            Active Server Pages (ASP) are web scripts that are executed on
            the Internet Information Server (IIS) and the result is send to
            the user. IIS determines if a file is an ASP script or not by
            the .asp extension.
            With Unicode there are many ways the asp extension can be
            encoded. On FAT file systems some of them will not be
            recognized as an ASP script by IIS and executed on the server
            but instead IIS will disclouse the source code of the script.

    Vendor status:
            Microsoft contacted 2001-05-28 and responded the same day:
            "The Microsoft Security Response Center has investigated the
            report, but we note that the problem as reported would only
            affect an IIS server that has been configured to use a FAT
            volume.  However, by design, FAT doesn't provide a security
            mechanism, and it's never an appropriate file system to use on
            a production web server.  Instead, as discussed in Microsoft's
            best practices guides and security checklists
            (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools.asp),
            production servers should always use NTFS volumes. The reported
            problem does not affect systems using NTFS".

    Vulnerability Assessment:
            A test-case to detect this vulnerability was added to
            SecureScan NX on June 22, 2001

    Fix:
            As a workaround convert the file system to NTFS. And consider
            removing reading access right for the IUSR_<hostname> from ASP
            scripts (only giving IUSR_<hostname> execute rights)
            In general follow Microsoft's Security Best Practices:
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bestprac.asp
            Internet Information Server 4.0 Security Checklist:
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/iischk.asp
            or Secure Internet Information Services 5 Checklist:
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/iis5chk.asp

    Copyright VIGILANTe.com, Inc. 2001-06-22

    Disclaimer:
            The information within this document may change without notice.
            Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS
            IS condition. There are NO warranties with regard to this
            information. In no event shall the author be liable for any
            consequences whatsoever arising out of or in connection with
            the use or spread of this information. Any use of this
            information lays within the user's responsibility.

    Feedback:
            Please send suggestions, updates, and comments to
            isisat_private

    VIGILANTe Vulnerability Disclosure Policy:
    http://www.vigilante.com/inetsecurity/advisories/vulnerability_disclosure_po
    licy.htm

    which it is  addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
    material.  Any review,  retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
    taking of any action in reliance upon,  this information by persons or
    entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

    Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
    necessarily the Company.

    If  you receive this transmission in error, please email to
    postmasterat_private, including a copy of this message. Please then
    delete this email and destroy any copies of it.