Fwd: Microsoft Word macro vulnerability advisory MS01-034

From: Steven McLeod (stevenmcleodat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 09:58:44 PDT

    Hi,

    Within minutes of Microsoft posting the bulletin on their site, my mailbox
    was swamped with emails from people asking the same two questions.  I am
    therefore forwarding the below email (minus the sample document!) to the
    BugTraq mailing list to reach a wide audience and answer the two questions I
    keep getting asked:

    1) Reporters asking when I notified Microsoft of the issue.  As you can see
    below, it was the 23rd of April.  Yes, I know, it was before Office XP/2002
    even went on sale.

    2) People asking for a sample document which defeats the macro checking.  I
    think the most responsible course of action is to give users a chance to
    download the patch and/or antivirus updates before making an example
    available.  SecurityFocus will no doubt make my sample document available at
    the URL http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2876 after users have had a chance
    to protect themselves.

    Regards,
    Steven McLeod.