Re: Security_APARs (fwd)

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 20:09:48 PDT

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:44:45 CDT, uid0at_private  said:
    > This is from IBM. I don't know why they do not post to BUGTRAQ directly.

    I don't speak for IBM, but I think I know why...

    >   AIX 4.3:   IY19897	(updated 6/2001)

    This is the 'packaging APAR' that rolls all these fixes up so you can
    do a one-stop order.  They cut a new roll-up ever 4-5 months.

    Due to the way IBM packages things, it includes *EVERY* security fix
    that IBM has put into an APAR since AIX 4.3.0 was released.

    I just checked the machine in my office - I installed AIX 4.3.0
    on November 14, 1997.  That's why there's such a long list - it
    goes back that far.

    > IX72045  CDE LOGIN GIVES INVALID USER NAME MESSAGE BEFORE PW ENTERED

    This is a fix for a bug originally reported against AIX 4.2.1.  It's *so*
    old that I can't even get accurate date info on when it was released.
    Looks around late 97.

    I don't think anybody really wants to see *all* 133 bugfixes every
    time.  Over and over.  For 4 year old fixes.  I do AIX for a living,
    and even *I* yawn at this posting and diff it against the previous
    one for any *NEW* ones.

    IBM *DOES* post their ERS alerts to Bugtraq (such as the 'diagrpt'
    one the other day).  In addition, they have a summary posting that
    you can subscribe to that lists the last 7-8 alerts.  Those include
    impact, workaround, and fix info - much more helpful..

    Diff against the January posting:

    *** 17,23 ****
      To facilitate ease of ordering all security related APARs for each
      release can be ordered using the following packaging APARs.

    !   AIX 4.3:   IY15473	(updated 1/2001)

      APARs can be ordered using FixDist.  For additional information on FixDist
      send e-mail with a subject of "FixDist" to aixservat_private, or
    --- 17,23 ----
      To facilitate ease of ordering all security related APARs for each
      release can be ordered using the following packaging APARs.

    !   AIX 4.3:   IY19897	(updated 6/2001)

      APARs can be ordered using FixDist.  For additional information on FixDist
      send e-mail with a subject of "FixDist" to aixservat_private, or
    ***************
    *** 94,100 ****
      IX81507  SECURITY: MORE VULNERABILITIES IN PCNFSD
      IX81999  POST COMMAND SHOULD NOT BE SUID
      IX82002  FORCE REXECD USER PRIVILEDGES
    - IX83542  AIX 4.3.3.0 MAINTENANCE LEVEL
      IX83752  SECURITY: VULNERABILITY IN AUTOFS
      IX84493  SECURITY: VULNERABILITY IN SETGID EXECUTABLES
      IX84642  SECURITY: VULNERABILITY IN INFOEXPLORER DAEMON (INFOD)
    --- 94,99 ----
    ***************
    *** 114,120 ****
      IX89687  SECURITY: NFS SCRIPTS CREATE INSECURE TEMPORARY FILES
      IY00892  INSECURE TEMPORARY FILES IN BOS.PERF PACKAGING SCRIPT
      IY01439  SECURITY: INSECURE TEMPORARY FILES IN /ETC/RC.POWERFAIL
    - IY02033  RESERVED
      IY02120  SECURITY: BUFFER OVERFLOW IN NSLOOKUP
      IY02397  SECURITY: NON-ROOT USERS CAN USE PTRACE TO CRASH THE SYSTEM
      IY02944  SECURITY: BUFFER OVERFLOW IN "DTACTION -U"
    --- 113,118 ----
    ***************
    *** 150,158 ****
    --- 148,164 ----
      IY12147  NON-ROOT USERS CAN ISSUE THE NETSTAT -Z FLAG
      IY12251  SECURITY: POSSIBLE VULNERABILITIES IN ERRPT
      IY12638  SECURITY: BUFFER OVERFLOW IN PRINT CMDS
    + IY13753  SECURITY: FORMAT STRING VULNERABILITY IN LOCALE SUBSYSTEM
      IY13780  SECURITY: BUFFER OVERFLOW  IN LIBNTP
      IY13781  SECURITY: FORMAT STRING VULNERABILITY IN FTP CLIENT
      IY13783  FORMAT STRING VULNERABILITIES IN GETTY'S ERROR LOGGING FUNCS
      IY14512  DNS CERT ADVISORY FOR SRV & ZXFR BUGS
    + IY14537  BUFFER OVERFLOW IN BELLMAIL
    + IY15146  SYSLOGD:BUFFER OVERFLOW AND IMPROPER CONTROL CHARACTER ESCAPES
    + IY16182  SECURITY: BUFFER OVERFLOW IN BIND8
    + IY16214  BUFFER OVERFLOW AND FORMAT STRING VULNERABILITIES IN BIND 4.X
    + IY16271  SECURITY: INFOLEAK IN NUMEROUS VERSIONS OF NAMED4 AND NAMED8
    + IY17048  SECURITY: POSSIBLE BUFFER OVERFLOW VULNERABILITY IN CRONTAB
    + IY17932  SECURITY: IMAPD BUFFER OVERFLOW

    *yawn*.  The ERS summaries are much more helpful... Let's encourage those instead.

    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst
    				Virginia Tech