Re: [BUGTRAQ] php breaks safe mode

From: Joost Pol (joostat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 17:04:14 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:12:43PM -0700, Joe Harris wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Joost Pol wrote:
    >
    > If an intruder can upload PHP code, what's to stop them from uploading an
    > even meaner bit-o-code? In some other language?
    >
    > There is something fundamentally flawed in the logic of claiming safe_mode
    > as "broken" if the means to abuse that flaw is predicated upon an intruder
    > already having write access to the file system... a situation I think most
    > would agree as being catastrophic to the integrity of the host, "safe_mode"
    > or no "safe_mode".

    Well, two changes do occur.

    1. User could obtain the uid of the webserver. (nobody access)

       In a decent configured hosting machine, the impact would be minor.

       And *all* hosting machines are configured decently, right? (:

    2. An ISP only giving out ftp access for users to upload new webpages
       could find themselves confronted with users with shell access.

    > Is it a bug? Sure. Is it worthy of a Bugtraq posting? Barely.

    Hmm, at least i should have cut it a bit. True.

    The one Good Thing that came out of the bugtraq posting was that the PHP
    team actually picked the issue up from the list and are fixing it.

    Before that i mailed them and posted it on the php bug list, little response.

    [heavy cutting]

    Kind Regards,

    Joost Pol

    --
    Joost Pol alias 'Nohican' <joostat_private> PGP 584619BD
    PGP fingerprint B1FA EE66 CFAA A492 D5F8 9A8A 0CDA 5846 19BD