Re: A Study In Scarlet - Exploiting Common Vulnerabilities in P

From: Forrest J Cavalier III (forrestat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 07:25:36 PDT

    Shaun Clowes writes.

    [snip]

    > 6. Library Files

    [snip]

    > When libdir/loadlanguage.php is called in the defined context of main.php it is
    > perfectly safe. But because libdir/loadlanguage has the extension .php (it
    > doesn't have to have that extension, include() works on any file) it can be
    > requested and executed by a remote attacker. When out of context an attacker
    > can set $langDir and $userLang to whatever they wish.

    I find it good practice that PHP included files have ONLY
    function definitions, (and perhaps some assignments of
    global configuration variables.)

    The reason is that when such a file is requested directly,
    no actions are taken. The result is a blank document.

    Thank you for sharing a very nice summary paper.

    Forrest J. Cavalier III, Mib Software  Voice 570-992-8824
    http://www.rocketaware.com/ has over 30,000 links to
    source, libraries, functions, applications, and documentation.