Re: Windows MS-DOS Device Name DoS vulnerabilities

From: Michael Poole (pooleat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 10:23:44 PDT

    3APA3A <3APA3Aat_private> writes:

    > Hello ByteRage,
    >
    > I completely disagree with your paper. It puts software developers and
    > users into false sense of security. Right now SECURITY.NNOV is working
    > out  few  MS-DOS  Device Name issues with vendors (not only in Windows
    > 95/98/ME  but  also  in  NT/2000),  and  the  problem is definitely in
    > software,  not  in  operation system, because operation system behaves
    > exactly  as  expected  and  documented.

    Having a specification that says something doesn't make it a good
    spec.  I agree with ByteRage -- it is a fault in the OS (and its
    specification) for the OS to parse file names specially regardless of
    location in the filesystem hierarchy, simply because it opens up so
    many security-related bugs.

    >  Later  we  will  publish  our
    > advisory.  Software  MUST check type of file it tries to access BEFORE
    > it  access  it,  if  this  can cause access to special device. Special
    > devices  under  Windows  allow raw access to ports, drives, tapes, etc
    > and  impact  of  such access can be same with impact of accessing /dev
    > under unix.

    The notable difference is that in Unix, the system administrator has
    control over where device files exist.  Under Windows, they exist
    _automatically_, in every directory.  That's why it is such a problem
    for applications running under Windows platforms, and (I believe) why
    device files are not considered a serious problem for Unix-like
    platforms.

    If Microsoft keeps the current behavior for backwards compatibility,
    then your conclusions about using functions such as GetFileType()
    (rather than enumerating names) hold; but one can always hope that
    the OS's behavior will be fixed.

    -- Michael