Re[2]: Windows MS-DOS Device Name DoS vulnerabilities

From: 3APA3A (3APA3Aat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 05:16:46 PDT

    Hello Alun,

    I'm not right writing I _completely_ disagree. In fact I disagree with
    conclusion of original message:

    -=-=-=-=-=-
    CONCLUSION : patch your OS, and stop whining about so
    called 'bugs' in applications, you will never be able
    to completely patch the problem that way.
    -=-=-=-=-

    I'd like to change this to:

    CONCLUSION  :  patch  your  OS and applications which do not check for
    special devices.

    I think you catch the difference. Sure, if application does check type
    of the file, but system crashes before - it's only OS problem.

    BUT:

    Most  of latest DOS device holes discussed on Bugtraq (for example few
    holes  in  ASP.DLL)  HAVE  NO  RELATION  to Windows 95/98/ME bug. It's
    application bug.

    I  know  my  English  is  far  for being perfect. Let me illustrate my
    opinion.

    Imagine  you have vulnerable application (A) which saves user supplied
    file  with  user  supplied  name (FTP server, for example) without any
    check for file type. You use this server in 2 different installations:

     I1: Unpatched Windows 98 (with "blue screen" bug)
     I2: Windows NT 4.0 (it doesn't have this bug)

    Someone  is  trying  to save file with name com1. In case of I1 you'll
    get "blue screen". It's not right! Yes! System MUST be patched! But in
    case  of  I2 this file will be successfully dumped to your modem... Do
    you need new firmware? :))

    If  WFTPD  is  safe  -  nice  for  you,  but have you tested different
    software? I did. I didn't tested ftp servers and not going to, cause I
    needn't  ftp  server  under  Windows.  I  check  for bugs software I'm
    working with. Results are very sad.

    AJ> The person quoted here doesn't indicate whether it is merely opening the
    AJ> device files, or trying to access (read or write) their contents, is what
    AJ> will "wedge the DOS box" - if the former, then GetFileType is sadly of no
    AJ> assistance.

    In  fact, he did, because we discussed some concrete kind of software.
    This  was  said  about writing of special devices. But reading of some
    devices  can  probably  lead  to  DoS  too  (at  least it can increase
    processor or disk usage for huge period of time).

    --
    ~/3APA3A
    ÝÍÈÀÊàì - ïî ìîðäå!  (Ëåì)