Many WAP gateways do not properly check SSL certificates

From: Gus (angus@z-y-g-o.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 01:19:28 PDT

    In a browser environment, when you connect to an site using SSL/TLS your
    browser automatically checks that the domain part of the URL matches the
    domain in the X.509 certificate that the HTTPS server presents when you
    connect to it.

    Since SSL certificates are tamper-evident as the cryptographic signature
    is checked against the "root" certificates of the large CAs (Thawte,
    Verisign, Global Trust etc.) this check gives assurance that the
    requesting party is connected to the right host - i.e. you are safe from a
    man-in-the-middle attack.

    It appears that most WAP gateways do not carry out this check, or if they
    do, no information about mismatches is passed back to the handset. In my
    limited testing 3 of the 4 gateways used by UK mobile operators are
    vulnerable. Given this ratio I would expect this to be a global issue.

    CMG is aware of the problem and will be issuing a patch with the next
    upgrade. (Vodafone UK)

    Openwave (Phone.com) is shipped vulnerable by default but can be fixed by
    configuration interface. (one2one, Virgin UK, BTCellnet/Genie)

    Nokia on HP/UX is not vulnerable. (Orange UK, Cingular USA)

    A browser-based testing tool for this issue is available at
    http://wap.z-y-g-o.com/ along with other wireless security information.

    Thanks to Rodney Tanner <RTannerat_private> for initially bringing this
    issue to to my attention.

    Regards,
    	_Gus

    --