Re: Messenger/Hotmail passwords at risk

From: Peter van Dijk (peterat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 12:24:29 PDT

    On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:32:36PM -0000, gregory duchemin wrote:
    [snip]
    > the hash creation process is as follow:
    > ======================================
    >
    > say user toto has a password "titan"
    > then his client generate the string "yyyyyyyyy.yyyyyyyyytitan" and the
    > according MD5 hash, say xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    > the client send MD5(yyyyyyyyy.yyyyyyyyytitan) on the wire.

    This is the exact same thing APOP does - server sends a string, client
    appends password to string, takes MD5 hash and sends back. If your
    cracker is what you say it is (I haven't checked) then APOP should be
    just as vulnerable.

    Greetz, Peter
    --
    Against Free Sex!   http://www.dataloss.nl/Megahard_en.html