RE: Cayman-DSL Model 3220-H DOS with nmap

From: Joshua Fritsch (joshua.fritschat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 17:46:05 PDT

    > Serious Cayman problem?

    Not half as serious as the default setup on some (all?) Cayman DSL routers,
    which come with such "features" as:

    * No administrative password set by default
    * A mini webserver....to access the unprotected administrative commands
    * Telnet that lets a person in without a password

    This is a pretty old issue, first reported (I think) back in March 2000:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/frames/?content=/templates/archive.pike%3Fend%3
    D2001-07-14%26mid%3D50343%26threads%3D0%26list%3D1%26start%3D2001-07-08%26fr
    omthread%3D1%26

    However, there are still tons of these out there, with no password. Also the
    above advisory does not mention that these machines respond to SNMP queries
    (default public/private SNMP strings) with enough info to choke a horse - -
    not to mention that once a user is logged in, they can telnet OUT as
    well.....

    Has Cayman fixed the problem? I don't know. But you would think that any ISP
    which has promoted these products would have long since contacted their
    customers to remedy the situation - - obviously many have not.

    -J