Re: Small TCP packets == very large overhead == DoS?

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 15:28:06 PDT

    In some mail from gregory duchemin, sie said:

    > hello,
    >
    > know if the TCP silly window syndrome might be used too ?
    > Uploading/downloading files byte per byte to/from a remote ftp server with a
    > stupid window size of one byte may generate a very high overhead.

    Silly window sizes aren't so bad.  If you have a window size of one then
    you only ever have one outstanding piece of data sent at a time.  So if
    I have 16k of data, it might take 32k or more packets, but I can only send
    one packet at a time.

    In contrast, if I have a window of 16384 but the TCP MSS is only 1, I can
    send all 16384 bytes now, each in their own packet, and more as I get ACKs
    from the receiver.

    Darren