Re: How Google indexed a file with no external link

From: Theo Van Dinter (felicityat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 09:24:10 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:47:44PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
    >       http://handsonhowto.com/?M=A
    >	http://handsonhowto.com/?S=D

    > ...and if you try this yourself in Internet Explorer, you'll find that
    > Apache is ignoring my index.html and is giving you a formatted directory
    > of the docroot directory as though there were no index page.

    This doesn't seem to work on any of the servers I tried (the one above
    included).  They're all running Apache 1.3.x (where x={2,19,20}).

    Did you fix this (or otherwise make related changes) on your box?

    > The differences between the ?M and the ?S versions are not blatantly
    > obvious, at least not to me.

    A quick check on the web Apache docs doesn't show anything, but a quick poke
    at the source code (<apache dir>/src/modules/standard/mod_autoindex.c) shows
    the following:

    #define K_NAME 'N'              /* Sort by file name (default) */
    #define K_LAST_MOD 'M'          /* Last modification date */
    #define K_SIZE 'S'              /* Size (absolute, not as displayed) */
    #define K_DESC 'D'              /* Description */

    #define D_ASCENDING 'A'
    #define D_DESCENDING 'D'

    So "?M=A" is "Sort by Last modified date, ascending (earliest first)", and
    "?S=D" is "Sort by size, descending (largest first)".

    I believe the default is "?N=A", or alphabetically.