New Cold Fusion vulnerability

From: Jean-Francois Prieur (jfp51at_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 01:39:29 PDT

    Hello,

    Like others I have seen the security advisory concerning Cold Fusion
    versions 2 to 4.5.1 SP2. What concerns me, and, evidently, others on
    the cold fusion boards, is the lack of details about this vulnerability.

    Usually, you would see a serious vulnerability like this being
    discussed on some mailing lists a few hours before a bulletin being
    issued, yet in this case, nothing.

    Maybe we are just paranoid, but since Allaire/Macromedia just released
    vesion 5 which is not vulnerable, is this just a ploy to get people to
    upgrade? This and the fact that there is a 3-8% performance degredation
    when you install the patch makes me want to know more about this. Also,
    if you are using NT4 and IIS, the patch breaks your server if you don't
    install MSVCRT 6.0 runtime files beforehand, so be careful.

    Anyone have any further info?

    Thanks,
    JF Prieur