Re: SECURITY.NNOV: directory traversal and path globing in multiple archivers

From: Andreas Marx (amarx@gega-it.de)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 12:55:23 PDT

    Hello,

    the ".." bug and how it can be exploited is quite old, so I was
    wondering that the newer packer programs still have it. :-(

    Network Associates ( http://www.nai.com ) has found a virus in mid-
    2000 called "Bat/Winrip", which uses such a way to replicate. After
    the virus has been found by the German NAI Office, some warnings
    were send out to both other av companies as well as developers of
    packer programs. But it sems that only a few people have taken
    steps against this issue in their programs.

    The most interesting issue in this virus was, that it was able to
    replicate using the extraction routine of a virus scanner: Some
    scanners still extract every file of an archive to disk first (like to
    C:\TEMP) and after this, they look for a virus inside of this
    unzipped file.

    Some virus scanners used external unpackers or special DLL
    routines for doing this - both using the full path and accepting ".."
    or "\". Currently, this should have changed now - some still extract
    the files first (which is relatively slow, so scanning everything in
    memory is more effective), but usually using a random
    file name and/or ignoring path statements as far as I know.

    The trick of the WinRip virus was to drop itself to the autostart folder:
    "\winnt\profiles\default user\start menu\programs\startup\winrip.bat". After a
    reboot (and if this was really the 'correct' folder!) the virus could activate...

    I can remember about this virus very good, since I've been written a longer
    article about this virus and the security-related issue for the PC-WELT
    magazine in German language ( http://www.pcwelt.de/ratgeber/online/15968/ ).

    cheers,
    Andreas Marx
    AV-Test.org - Tests of Anti-Virus Programs

    --
    Andreas Marx, amarx@gega-it.de, http://www.av-test.org
    GEGA IT-Solutions GbR, Klewitzstr. 7, 39112 Magdeburg, Germany