McAfee ASaP Virusscan - myCIO HTTP Server Directory Traversal Vulnerabilty

From: ade245at_private
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 09:15:17 PDT

    Hi all,

    To follow up on my initial post.  I have had a few people contact me off
    list asking for more details as to how "Rumour" technology works and asking
    if the the virus definitions are digitally signed to prevent the upload
    of bogus definitions.  To the best of my knowledge they are signed.

    FYI

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,s2082390,00.html

    "Rumor, the technology announced last week by MyCIO.com, uses a more sociological
    analogy -- the passing of a juicy rumour between friends -- to deliver definitions
    by the currently vogue method of peer-to-peer networking."

    http://www.slashdot.org/articles/00/10/24/157257.shtml

    "ZDNet is reporting on two products that are based off the peer-to-peer
    sharing idea that Napster made popular to release two useful tools to the
    community. First, "Rumor"  is a p2p program that helps to spread the updates
    to virus protections programs by having each client on an intranet act as
    a p2p node, reducing the load on servers and speeding the distrubtion of
    the update."

    Cheers,

    Ade

    PS Some things I failed to mention in my initial advisory: People can copy
    files to the \winnt\mycio\agent\rmrcache and happily share them with their
    work collegues.   Also the uploading of files to the integrated web server
    is thankfully stymied by the fact that the server seems to only support
    the HTTP GET method.

    Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com