Re: W2k: Unkillable Applications

From: Chad Loder (cloderat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 18:10:22 PDT

    This does sound like a bug in the Task Manager,
    and maybe there are MINOR security implications
    in the fact that the Task Manager tells the
    administrator "This is a critical system process"
    when it's not...but the fact that the system
    administrator is trying to kill the process
    seems to suggest that he already knows otherwise.

    Had you reported this to Microsoft before posting,
    I'm sure they could have told you that an administrator
    can end system processes by right clicking on them and
    choosing "Debug" and then ending the process. There's
    a known bug in Win2k where this can result in a BSOD
    (it may have been fixed; on my Win2k SP2 system, it
    resulted in a console message saying "This system
    will shut down in 60 seconds", followed by a controlled
    restart).

    Not sure what happens when you have no just-in-time
    debugger installed.

    Let's see more vendor notification -- it can save
    the readers time, and chances are your "advisories"
    would at least have more helpful details in them.

             Chad Loder
             Rapid 7, Inc.
             chad_loderat_private