Re: FreeBSD-SA-01:48: tcpdump contains remote buffer overflow

From: antirez (antirezat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 13:10:46 PDT

    On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 12:37:15PM -0600, aleph1at_private wrote:
    > II.  Problem Description
    [snip]
    > buffer causing the local tcpdump process to crash.  In addition, it
    > may be possible to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the
    > user running tcpdump, often root.

    We see buffer overflows and other security problems in
    code that run as root only to access the data link layer
    or similar interfaces many times. Think to tcpdump,
    ping, traceroute, ...

    Almost all the people in this list know how is possible to
    gain the access to the privileged resource in the
    first lines of code, since in unix usually if you open
    the device you take the interface, than drop the privileges. This
    will mitigate a bit this kind of vulnerabilities and
    is very simple to do. Maybe all the programs that
    don't do this should be modified: very little effort but
    a relative enhancment in security.

    Sure, there are operating system extensions that
    can handle the problem better, like capabilities, but
    maybe is important to remember that often setuid() & co.
    are a way to reach a similar effect in a portable way.

    regards,
    antirez

    --
    Salvatore Sanfilippo <antirezat_private>
    http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez