Re: [BUGTRAQ] Full analysis of the .ida "Code Red" worm.

From: Joe Harris (cdiat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 11:30:44 PDT

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Marc Maiffret wrote:

    > The following is a detailed analysis of the "Code Red" .ida worm that we
    > reported on July 17th 2001.

    [snip much excellent stuff]

    > The following is part of the packet data that is sent for this .ida "Code
    > Red" worm attack:

    > GET
    > /default.ida?NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    > NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    > NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    > NNNNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%
    > u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a
    > HTTP/1.0
    > Just add that to your IDS signature database.

    A notable side effect of this.. the worm signature is wreaking havoc with
    Cisco 675, 677, and 678 DSL routers that have the Web Based Configuration
    Interface enabled.

      Ref BugTraq ID # 2012
      http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/bottom.html?vid=2012

    Any request which includes a question mark made to the Web Admin Interface
    on these Cisco devices will cause them to lock up. I mention this only
    because I work tech-support at an ISP and the phones have been going nuts
    this morning.

    Useless trivia -
    Web server log ida worm signatures seen yesterday: 0
    Today the web server (apache) is recording an average of 4 unique IPs
    attacking the server every hour.

    This one's gonna be bad.

    CDI
    --