Re: Microsoft IIS problems (Current)

From: neilat_private
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 14:48:18 PDT

    I have seen some problems with NT4 servers running Exchange crashing when
    they encounter the Code Red Worm.  These machines were all upgraded with the
    patch in the MS-33 ida/idq bulletin.  While the worm wouldn't exploit the
    servers, it would bring down IIS4.

    The page returned contained an error message:
    <snip>
        This is the error page for errors found in .idq files
        A registry entry points to this page (where X is the current language):
    </snip>

    This was returned along with a registry key and some more detail why it
    failed.  Out of all the servers, only the ones with Exchange exhibited these
    problems after being patched.  I have confirmed these results with someone
    with a similar setup.  The only way I could stop it was to unmap the ida/idq
    extensions from IIS4.

    Has anyone else seen similar behavior?  Is this limited only to NT4/Exchange
    machines?  I haven't been able to test it on an IIS5 machine to see.  I'd
    advise anyone currently having these problems to unmap the ida/idq extensions.

    For dumps/more information just let me know.

    Neil