RE: Full analysis of the .ida "Code Red" worm.

From: Marc Maiffret (marcat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 18:55:13 PDT

    You basically just summed up what I was writing in an eMail... As far as
    things look right now... whitehouse.gov will remain standing upright because
    they blackholed the IP address that use to map to it which was the right
    thing to do and kept this from turning into a much bigger problem then it
    already is.

    This of course does not by any means the worm is done. Hopefully enough
    people are talking and administrators are listening and installing patches
    right away.

    ---
    as a side note... some people asked about why the worm has "slowed down" on
    infecting and thats because the worm was designed to do that... to stop
    infecting and start attacking an IP address that use to point to
    whitehouse.gov.

    This whole worm process that we have been going through will basically start
    from scratch and run its course again when the 1st of next month comes
    around.

    Signed,
    Marc Maiffret
    Chief Hacking Officer