Re: Mitigating some of the effects of the Code Red worm

From: Vincas Ciziunas (fizbanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 21:09:55 PDT

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, LARD BENJAMIN LEE wrote:

    > What I'm getting at, is for someone to create another exploit that creates
    > the C:\notworm file in infected machines and does something to
    > notify whoever is in charge of a particular box (even something as simple
    > as placing you_are_hacked.txt and a link to the patch on the desktop could
    > be beneficial). Even better, an exploit to patch a machine (through
    > removing the .ida and .idq extensions) would prevent the inevitable wave
    > of post-attacks (both from this worm and future attacks).

    The only problem I forsee with that course of action is that for a while,
    this worm may clog the networks up just as badly as Code Red.

    				--Vincas Ciziunas--
    		(College Student, Linux Geek, Music Nut, Virginian)
      	       fizbanat_private  vciziunaat_private  fizbanat_private
    			   http://www.tamos.net/~fizban
    	"There's nothing worse in the world than an angry tree," --Bob Ross