Re: Full analysis of the .ida

From: mardy.hutchinsonat_private
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 11:34:55 PDT

      This is hogwash.

      When Microsoft issued the bulletin, it was quite clear that it
    was to fix an Index Server problem.

      Since we, among others, had not been running the Index Server because
    of its historical security flaws, the patch did not appear to be
    required.  You don't blindly apply patches that have no apparent
    bearing on your system -- it may break other things.

      Surprise!  It was.

      This was truly a misleading security release.  In effect, there was
    no notification.  You can't expect harried sysadmins to read between
    the lines.  Even Microsoft themselves did not feel the need to apply
    the patch to some servers, probably for much the same reasons.

    -- Mardy