Re: "Code Red" worm - there MUST be at least two versions.

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 14:38:04 PDT

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Don Papp wrote:

    > 	I wonder if I have seen this variant - a person I emailed has a
    > server whose web pages served looks a lot like the Code Red worm's output
    > (1 line of simple html) displaying
    >
    > 	FUCK CHINA GOVERNENT
    > 	and p0isonb0x (or something like that)
    >
    > 	On a black background.  The web files themselves are untouched.
    >
    > 	Actually I have the source of what it spits out:

    > align="center"><font size=7 color=red>fuck CHINA
    > color=red>contact:sysadmcnat_private</html>

    I would tend to assume that isn't a variant of the worm.  It's certainly
    not CRv1 or CRv2.  The HTML is about 40 bytes longer than that in Code
    Red, so it would be a bit more than simply changing the HTML code in the
    worm and relaunching; you'd have to adjust the content length reference,
    and a number of other items.  I would think it's non-trivial.

    I would think this was a hand-done response to Code Red.

    					Ryan