Re: telnetd exploit code

From: Aaron Silver (asilverat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 14:22:06 PDT

    There's a question begging to be asked here...

    First of all let me say that I don't know Sebastian or his motivations, so I am not infering anything here, simply that this brought up a point that is now itching my head a lot.

    If a hacker copyright's his code, and then releases it into the wild, what does that do for his rights under the copyright?

    To turn it upside down, I have a machine that has had some hacker code placed on it. I didn't authorize it to be placed on there... Am I to be denied investigating this code (and sharing it with others to help me investigate) because someone placed a copyright notice on the code.

    Normally the rights of the individual to swing his arms ends at the tip of another individual's nose.

    This issue can get a lot muddier, but I figured I'd start with a simple case. =)

    Aaron Silver