Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-040

From: Paul Murphy (Paul.Murphy@gemini-genomics.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 02:15:24 PDT

    As per MS01-038, this bulletin is signed with a PGP key which does not match the sender, and so does not verify.  The key is for "secureat_private", while the sender is "secnotifat_private", and as a result PGP reports:

    *** PGP Signature Status: good
    *** Signer: Microsoft Security Response Center <secureat_private> (Invalid)
    *** Signed: 26/07/2001 02:08:04
    *** Verified: 26/07/2001 09:58:00

    The reason why the signer is invalid is that their key is signed by an unknown signer (Key ID 0x63303caf). This turns out to be for "mscertat_private", and expired on 2/1/01.  Is it too much to ask that they have their key signed by Verisign or some other well-known and trusted source, and that the keys in use are within their valid period?

    Worse still, the advisory contains the following paragraph:

    >To verify the digital signature on this bulletin, please download our PGP
    >key at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/notify.asp.

    This page does not exist - it should perhaps be
    	http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp
    Having just had an incident where someone forged a MS advisory, I would think that getting this right is perhaps a higher priority than it would appear to Microsoft...

    Best Wishes,

    Paul.

    Paul Murphy - Head of I.T., Gemini Genomics
    162 Science Park, Cambridge CB4 0GH
    Tel. 01223 435305 Fax. 01223 435301
    http://www.gemini-genomics.com/

    DISCLAIMER:
    are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
    the Gemini I.T helpdesk on : +44 (0) 1223 435333