RE: URGENT SECURITY ADVISORY FOR SSH SECURE SHELL 3.0.0

From: Stephanie Thomas (customer.serviceat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 13:58:32 PDT

    Hi Cesar,

    We have not tested SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0 on AIX 4.2.1 for
    this vulnerability, so I cannot verify that one.

    The HP-UX issue is a little more complex, however.

    SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0 has proven vulnerable when running on
    HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00 (trusted AND untrusted)
    in the following, NON-DEFAULT situation:

    - The password field of /etc/passwd is modified to
    contain two characters

    While this is a situation which does not occur natively in
    HP-UX 10.20 or 11.00, we have listed them as affected because
    there may be situations where this could occur.  One which comes
    immediately to mind is the installation of some third-party
    software which modifies /etc/passwd .  Another is improper
    editing of the /etc/passwd - perhaps by someone who is very
    familiar with Solaris, for example, and puts 'NP' in the password
    field.

    All told, we felt it was best to list HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00 as
    affected by this vulnerability of SSH Secure Shell 3.0.0
    in the face of these possibilities.

    Best Regards,

    Steph