RE: telnetd exploit code

From: Kelly Martin (kellymat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 06:39:36 PDT

    There is a doctrine known as "copyright misuse" which permits a court to
    refuse to enforce a copyright interest when that interest is being used (or
    enforcement of the right is sought) for an improper purpose.  Copyright
    actions, for the most part, lie in equity and as such the court may apply
    equitable principles to deny relief when granting it would be unreasonable.
    I suspect that it would not be a hard sell to convince a court that
    enforcing a malicious software author's copyright interests in such software
    would be unreasonable and would amount to copyright misuse.

    Note also that in order to prosecute copyright infringement on a virus, the
    author would have to file a registration for that virus with the Copyright
    Office, which would then be admissible as evidence in a criminal prosecution
    against that author for computer tampering. In addition, the civil complaint
    that the author would have to file to initiate a copyright enforcement
    action would be admissible, as would the sworn affidavits which would
    necessarily be annexed to that complaint as exhibits.  So, from a pratical
    standpoint, even if virus authors have a copyright interest in their
    viruses, they would be utter idiots to seek to enforce them.  This would
    also apply to efforts to use the DMCA, as that also requires a sworn
    affidavit attesting to ownership of the intellectual property in question.

    The only caveat here would be a virus author who wrote a virus but never
    released it or who published it for "academic review" without a license to
    use (e.g. exploit code developed by testing labs).  In this case, if you
    discovered her virus on your system, she would probably be willing to work
    with you in a joint prosecution against the virus releaser, as that
    individual has both infringed the virus author's copyright and committed
    computer tampering against your system, especially when you point out to her
    that if she fails to cooperate, you will name her as a joint defendant in
    conspiracy with the releasing individual on the charge of computer
    tampering.

    So, I wouldn't worry about copyright interests in viruses.  It's
    questionable (in my mind) whether such interests are legally enforceable,
    and quite clear to me that they are not practically enforceable even if they
    are legally.

    The foregoing is not legal advice.  For legal advice, consult a licensed
    attorney.

    Kelly