Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Niels Bakker (niels=bugtraqat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 03:21:12 PDT

    * stefanat_private (Stefan Laudat) [Fri 27 Jul 2001, 00:10 CEST]:
    > I have managed to kill a 7513 Cisco Router with DCEF enabled and loads of
    > other speed hacks. Try it for yourself :)

    This is documented behaviour for cisco routers.  Packets addressed to
    the box itself are always process switched.  The limit in a 7500 series
    router then becomes the RSP, not the CyBus bandwidth or amount of memory
    on the VIP2 cards.  Taking cpu cycles away from the RSP will make the
    box fall over.  Just don't let packets near your network if this is
    unacceptable behaviour for you.

    ObPlug: HAL2001 <URL:http://www.hal2001.org/> will host a dDoS discussion
    panel.  As a possible title "dDoS: You ain't seen nothin' yet" was coined...

    Regards,

    	-- Niels.

    --
    "IP assumes non-hostile, non-lazy, and non-clueless nodes."  -- Mark Mentovai