Mac OS X & Darwin/BSD vulnerable to telnetd overflow

From: Nathan Ollerenshaw (chromeat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 22:17:50 PDT

    [titanium:~/desktop] chrome% ./SPtelnetAYT localhost
    Telnetd AYT overflow scanner, by Security Point(R)
    Host: localhost
    Connected to remote host...
    Sending telnet options... stand by...
    Telnetd on localhost vulnerable
    [titanium:~/desktop] chrome% telnet localhost
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.stupendous.net.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    Darwin/BSD (titanium) (ttyp5)

    login: ^]
    telnet> close
    Connection closed.

    Note that by default telnet is disabled in /etc/inetd.conf (as are
    most things, except for portmapper/NFS, ugh) so the impact should be
    minimal. If you're not using the OpenSSH included with OS X, you're
    mad.

    This was tested successfully on Mac OS X 10.0.4 from both the local
    machine, and from a remote Sparc Solaris 2.7 host.

    I'd notify Apply, only I have no idea what address to use, and it's
    6am and I've not slept yet (catching up to bugtraq from a 2 week
    holiday, wow, that Code Red thing was bad, glad I wasn't around when
    THAT baby hit, ho ho ho)

    Nathan.

    --
    "The computer can't tell you the emotional story.
      It can give you the exact mathematical design, but