Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Trevor O'Donnal (todonnalat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 23:09:56 PDT

    --- cr4zybird <cr4zybirdat_private> wrote:
    > solutions:
    > 1) download some antivirus softwares. and update
    > the virus datebase all the
    > time. and change the name of some 'dangerous'
    > programs  in your system, such
    > as format.exe deltree.exe etc. i.e change format.exe
    >
    > to format_0.com etc.
    > 2) try, not to visit those so-
    > called 'hacker'or'cracking'sites. most of the
    > time, you are the victim while you want to learn to
    > attack others.
    > 3) if you have to go visit some site that you are
    > not
    > quite sure if they are
    > safe. then check it here first:
    > http://crazybird.51.net/look.htm
    >    or you can also save the source code of this page
    >
    > to your computer, then
    > save it as *.htm, so you can execute it on your own
    > comp. be aware if it
    > says "the web page contains some unsafe ActiveX"
    > or something like that,
    >    then you'd better not to execute that ActiveX
    > widget.
    > and i can't promise
    > that it can give you this kind of warn for any
    > aggressive files..
    > 4) DO NOT open your attachment in IE!!!!!don't ever
    > open any type of file in
    > IE directly!!!BE AWARE!! you'd better use antivirus
    > to scan it before you
    > open it after you've download it to ur computer.
    > 5) Update the system patch immediately if the patch
    > comes out.

    I don't think many of these will help with this
    vulnerability, however, there is a built in solution
    in IE. Most of you probably know about it. It's called
    Security Zones. I know somebody could probably write a
    small book of instructions on this feature alone, but
    used properly, it can really make IE the secure piece
    of software it was meant to be. Here's a quick bit of
    configuration you can do to protect yourself from this
    vulnerability:

    1 - Set the Internet Zone security slider to HIGH.
    2 - Click on "Custom Level" and change the following
    settings.
        a - "Script ActiveX controls marked 'safe for
    scripting'" set to "Disable"
        b - "Allow per session cookies (not stored)" set
    to Enable
        c - "File download" set to Enable
        d - "Active Scripting" set to Prompt

    While this does result in lots of pop-ups while
    browsing, it does protect you from the exploit in
    question. If there is a site you trust that uses
    active content and you don't want these pop-ups while
    browsing that site, add it to your "Trusted Sites"
    zone.

    This is just a quick overview of one way to set these
    options to protect yourself. It is my understanding
    thatOutlook also uses these settings, so you SHOULD be
    safe there too. I recommend all of you research how to
    use the security zones feature of IE if you haven't
    already done so, if only so you can help others who
    like to use it.

    I welcome all corrections and comments! :)

    Oh, and by the way, Nice to meet you all!

    -Trevor O'Donnal