Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Pavlos Parissis (p_pavlosat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 04:25:21 PDT

    When the time was Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:36:39 +0300, Stefan Laudat wrote....

    Hi Stefan,

     Stefan->I would like to hear some other results for other operating systems.
    I did some test in my home network.

    Info of PC A
    CPU : AMD 700
    etho: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xd8800000, 00:50:bf:4a:bb:7d, IRQ 9
    eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
    RAM :393 MB
    Kernel 2.4.7
    ip:192.168.100.1

    info of PC B
    cpu : P133
    eth0 RealTEK RTL 8139
    RAM : 32 MB
    kernel: 2.2.19
    ip:192.168.100.2

    No hub just cross link.

    ON pc A
    ./a.out 127.0.0.1 cc
    CPU 100% USAGE not slowdown
    ./a.out 192.168.100.2  cc
    CPU 100% USAGE not slowdown
    on pc B CPU USAGE was the same before the attack

    ON pc B now
    ./a.out 192.168.100.1  cc
    CPU 96% USAGE not slowdown,but i don'n use X on these machine i could not run same havy apps.
    CPU 100 USAGE On pc A and slowdown i run it only for 25 secs because i couldn't even move the mouse!

    Now, if i stop firewall and return to the default state and try from pc B do tha attack the pc A i
    got
    recvfrom:Connection refused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHen i mean i stopped the firewall i mean that i had flush all rules and default policy is ACCEPT
    for
    all tables
    but pc A can attack to pc B
    THe firewall running on pc A.

    Thanks in advance,
    Pavlos

    I love having the feeling of being in control
    while i have the sensation of speed

    The surfer of life