Re: vmware bug?

From: Peter W (peterwat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 14:14:12 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 03:57:48PM -0400, starman jones wrote:

    > oi oi.. i recently installed vmware (the latest release of the workstation
    > thing) and it crashed once or twice. But never mind that. in /tmp i found
    > a file called vmware-log.starman. starman being my user on the box. Inside
    > in this file is my license information and it's chmod is 777. That's kinda
    > nasty don't ya think? has anyone seen similar things?

    More than once we've discussed VMWare's need to have a safe TMPDIR environment
    variable. Please set TMPDIR and post if there's still a problem.

    BTW, both Bastille (http://www.bastille-linux.org/) and my personal Web
    space (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/) offer TMPDIR scripts designed to mkae
    safe directories and set the TMPDIR/TMP envirnment variables at login time.

    -Peter