Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Aaron Bentley (abentleyat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 12:46:29 PDT

    In my experience, file extension supercedes MIME type in IE.

    I have noted several cases where servers were misconfigured, and yet IE
    rendered external files correctly.  In one case, it was an ASX file (the

    ActiveStreaming equivalent of a RAM file).  Netscape paid attention to
    the MIME
    type, and displayed the text in a browser window.  IE launched Windows
    Media
    Player.

    This problem was later solved when the server was correctly configured.
    It's possible this behavior was based on magic cookies, I suppose.  But
    can they have cookies for every 1

    I have also noted that cgi-generated PDF files are not handled correctly
    in
    some IE/Acrobat combinations, yet normal PDF files are handled
    properly.  By
    configuring an alias for the cgi program with a PDF extension, I was
    able to
    get IE to launch Acrobat properly.

    Aaron

    Justin Nelson wrote:
    <snip>
    > **I don't think the actual file extension makes any difference on
    remote
    > files**
    >
    > Once IE determines that it is responsible for rendering the file
    directly,
    > it will show it however it feels appropriate. It will do this by
    completely
    > ignoring the MIME type and extension, rendering based on content
    (exception:
    > text/html is *always* rendered as HTML, whether or not there are HTML
    tags).