RE: Wvdial insecure conf?

From: Black, Braden (BBlackat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 07:46:35 PDT

    Actually, the wvdialconf program doesn't put your password into the file for
    you (at least as of wvdial v1.41).  You must manually edit the
    /etc/wvdial.conf file and put it in there yourself.  However, as
    workarounds, you have a couple of options:
    1) Run wvdial suid root, and chmod 600 the wvdial.conf file.  I don't know
    about you, but I'm leary of doing things this way unless absolutely
    necessary.
    2) Give your primary group write access to /dev/modem (usually /dev/ttyS0 or
    /dev/ttyS1), chgrp the /etc/wvdial.conf to your primary group, and chmod it
    640.
    3) *Recommended* Don't put your password in /etc/wvdial.conf.  Use the "Ask
    Password = 1" directive instead.  This will prompt you for your password,
    instead of storing in the file.  The other information in /etc/wvdial.conf
    really isn't that sensitive.

    -Braden