Re: Tivoli Management Framework Alert!!!

From: Henry Farkas (hfarkasat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 11:39:33 PDT

    Duct Tape writes:

    > Tivoli requires Rexec (port 512) to run on their
    > managed hosts.  When these hosts are connected
    > to the Internet, there is a huge risk Tivoli
    > will allow full access to all machines in your DMZ.

    No.  Tivoli requires rexec during the initial install of the framework
    only.  For the brief time it takes to install this (single time operation)
    one can disallow Internet connectivity.  What happens is that individuals
    who install Tivoli sometimes forget to stop the service once the framework
    is installed, and/or forget to re-edit inetd.conf, so... the next time the
    system is restarted...  I don't believe this is a Tivoli problem.

    -henry

    We must all turn our backs upon the horrors of the past. We must look
    to the future.  We cannot afford to drag forward, across the years that
    are to come, the hatreds and revenges which have sprung from the
    injuries of the past.  - Winston Churchill    /    PH: 203-468-2163
    CELL: 203-605-0435 / PAGE 888-858-PAGE(7243)  PIN 120460 / KB1ERP
    E-mail to pager: 120460at_private
    PGP fingerprint AA D0 F5 44 C1 8C 11 52 - B3 80 34 1C CE 38 EC 53