Re: IIS keeps stopping, quite a large number of people affected by th is, why ?!?!

From: Clint Byrum (cbyrumat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 16:46:45 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 08:23:27PM +0800, David Rea wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Wondering if anyone knows why our IIS services keep stopping, some clients
    > also report that their IIS services stopped also, you reboot the box and all
    > is well
    > until 5 or 10 even 900 minutes later and it happens again, we along with
    > several
    > other people are patched up with the latest hotfixes but seems to continue.

    We were having problems with this last week when CR started up again on
    the 1st.

    > Nobody that I know, knows how to fix this problem ?

    Even though we were patched, it seemed to crash IIS 4 on NT 4 SP6a
    sporadically. We removed the .ida/.idq mappings as well, and that
    stopped the crashing.

    We did have problems applying the patch on that, and many other servers
    though, so it might not have even applied correctly. When rebooting, the
    server got stuck while shutting down all the services. This happened on
    3 or 4 servers.

    We have since removed idq.dll from all the machines, as a 3rd line of
    defense, in case some stupid patch/service pack/MS installer replaces
    the .ida/.idq mappings.