Re: Adobe PDF files can be used as virus carriers

From: Lars Hecking (lheckingat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 02:20:50 PDT

    [Moderator: reposted as requested by daat_private]

    > What this means is that virus scanners will now need to "reach inside"
    > PDFs to scan encapsulated files. But what -- as I'm sure our Russian
    > friend Dmitri would ask -- if the PDF is encrypted? Wouldn't the
    > virus checker have to defeat the encryption to see the encapsulated
    > file? And would it be an illegal "circumvention" mechanism if it did?

     So what? The problem is not new - it already exists with zip files, and
     generally with all types of encrypted files.

     Here's e.g. what Sophos sweep tells you when encountering an encrypted
     zip file (here, it's inside an self-extracting zip archive.

    Aug  3 17:27:29 localhost amavis[16194]: Password protected file /tmp/amavis-10411997/parts/msg-16194-2.exe/SfxArchiveData/SETUP.WZ/WINZIP32.EX_

     I would be extremely suspicious about "encryption" that can be circumvented
     by, say, a virus scanner.

     Is encryption really the problem as far as viruses are concerned? I'd say
     it is not. Decryption requires manual intervention by the user, and after
     that the problem is the same as before: applications that execute stuff
     automatically by default, or make it easy to circumvent any safeguards
     the user may have set.

     The new threat is that a hitherto unused file format is now used as a vector.
     Big deal.