Re: ZyXEL Prestige 642R: Exposed Admin Services on WAN with Default Password

From: Peter Gutmann (pgut001at_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 06:55:35 PDT

    Daniel Roethlisberger <danielat_private> writes:

    >Unfortunately, though this is how it *should* work -- according to the
    >documentation you should be able to specify up to 4 filters delimited by
    >commas -- it does *not*. I was only able to get a single filter active at a
    >time.

    It works, but portions of the filter setup process are severely
    underdocumented.  You need to be very careful about chaining rules together, so
    that the filter sets have to end with a "Check next rule" action for everthing
    but the last filter set.  If you end with a Drop/Forward action, the filter
    does exactly that without checking further rules.

    In addition, the filter rules take effect as soon as you exit the individual
    filter edit menu, which means if you're making changes to multiple rules and
    adding new filter sets, you need to make the changes via the console port
    rather than telnet interface because at some point you either have to add a
    filter set which isn't configured yet or chain to a filter set which you
    haven't added yet, at which point your telnet session dies.

    (Neither of these are bugs, just gotchas which are obvious once you think about
    it).

    >I've notified ZyXEL by email, but got no response.

    They're hopeless, and Netgear (who OEM Zyxel stuff) are no better.  I have an
    ICMP filtering bug (basically the filtering doesn't work) which I've been
    trying to bring to their attention for a month or two, I'll post the details
    here after one last attempt to contact them.

    Peter.