Re: Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?

From: Bill Arbaugh (waaat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 17:01:31 PDT

    Elias,

    You raise some very good points, and they are the reasons why nothing
    has really happened in a positive way for some time. I agree with you that
    full disclosure is good in many ways. However, I believe that the potential
    damage that it can create is larger than the good that it can do.

    At the end of your note, you say:

    >   What it boils down to is this: disclosure of detailed vulnerability
    >information benefits security conscious people, while, in the short them,
    >hurts people that do not keep up with security, with the hope that it
    >also helps them in the longer term.

    I disagree here.  I found that the release of the scripts hurt people for a
    very long time- in some cases years.  You are, however, onto a possible
    solution to the problem. This problem is all about time and the windows
    in which people must operate. It's a classic military command and control
    problem- first discussed by John Boyd in his OODA loop theory. In essence,
    Boyd says that who ever can react faster in a non-conventional
    confrontation will win.
    Right now the attackers are reacting faster than the vast majority of the
    people trying to protect
    their systems. Ideally, we'd have perfect management systems that downloaded
    patches automagically as soon as a vulnerability is reported (and of course
    everyone used such a system- NOTE: this is the ultimate virus vector which
    is a problem
    onto itself). Unfortunately, we don't have something like that now.

    I think the best idea is for people to follow something along the lines of
    RFP's
    policy. But, don't release the source code. Release enough information such
    that other experts can verify your results and develop counter-measures /
    scanners.

    Will vulnerabilities still get scripted without release of the source?
    Sure- but it's all about
    time, and the time to react and protect yourself. Over the last few years, I've
    been coming to the conclusion that any vast improvement in security will come
    from improvements in management- not some new security widget. Right now, I
    believe
    the biggest opportunity for improving security rests in finding ways to
    shrink the window of time
    that an attacker can successfully exploit a vulnerable system. Not
    releasing the source code to attacks in this
    case doesn't help shrink that window, but it does limit the size of the
    population who
    can take advantage of the window.

    Bill