Various problems in Baltimore's WEBSweeper Script filtering

From: eDvice Security Services (supportat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 07:42:14 PDT

    Sunday 12 August 2001
    eDvice Security Services Advisory

    Various problems in Baltimore's WEBSweeper Script filtering

    Product Background
    -------------------
    WEBsweeper is Baltimore Technologies' Web Content Security solution. It
    enables customers to implement Content Security policies on Web, HTTP and
    passive FTP transfers.

    Scope
    ------
    eDvice recently conducted a test of WEBSweeper's ability to filter Scripts
    at the gateway. WEBSweeper includes the ability to filter script from HTML
    code.

    The Findings
    --------------
    WEBSweeper includes some design and implementation flaws, which allow an
    attacker to bypass restrictions set by the product administrator and
    introduce malicious code into an organization.

    Details
    ---------
    We found three problems with WEBSweeper's Script filtering mechanism:

    1) By adding an extra opening angled bracket before the SCRIPT tag, the tag
    will be left unmodified by WEBSweeper. The browser however, will execute the
    contained script. Example:

    <<SCRIPT language="javascript">
    alert("This should have been filtered");
    </SCRIPT>

    2) Similar problem to the one we reported in
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2001-05/0282.html appears
    with WEBSweeper as well. The following crafted html code:

    <SC<SCRIPT language="javascript"> </SCRIPT>RIPT language="javascript">
    alert("This should have been filtered");
    </SCRIPT>

    will be transformed by the WEBsweeper filter to yield the following result:

    <SCRIPT language="javascript">
    alert("This should have been filtered");
    </SCRIPT>

    3) WEBSweeper does not recognize and does not filter scripting tags
    constructed using extended Unicode notation. This is the same problem we
    reported in http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2001-05/0285.html
    (see also http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2801) for a different product.

    Version Tested
    Baltimore Technologies WEBSweeper 4.02

    Status
    -------
    Baltimore Technologies was notified on 31 July 2001.

    Discovered by eDvice on 30 July 2001.
    http://www.edviceSecurity.com
    supportat_private